3 Innovative Nutrient-Packed Plant-Based Recipes
Holistic nutritionist, Leanne Vogel has contributed a few of her plant-based recipes.
5-minute Mango Tropics Quinoa-Flake Bake
Vegan (option), Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Sugar-free, Yeast-free, Corn-free A light and summery quinoa-flake breakfast bake filled with the taste of the tropics.
½ cup quinoa flakes
¼ cup mango purée (about ½ of a fresh mango)
1 egg (see note)
¼ banana, diced
2 tbsp dried papaya, chopped
1 tbsp shredded unsweetened coconut
1 tbsp chia seeds
⅛ tsp almond extract
Optional toppings: coconut butter, sliced banana, cashews, coconut, raspberries
- Prepare a 16 oz microwave-safe dish by oiling with a dab of coconut oil. Set aside. Place all ingredients in a small bowl and mix until fully incorporated. Press mixture into prepared dish and even out with fork.
- Microwave option: Place in the microwave and cook for 3½ minutes. You’ll know when it’s done when it rises slightly, is harder to the touch, and pulls away from the sides of the dish. Don’t bake it too long, or you’ll have a Frisbee!
- Oven option: Place in a preheated oven at 350°F and bake for 25–30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- To make vegan, omit egg and add ¼ cup of extra mango purée.
- Add all coleslaw ingredients to a large bowl. Toss to combine well.
- In a small blender, add all dressing ingredients except poppy seeds. Blend until smooth. Stir in poppy seeds and pour the dressing over the salad.
- Toss to coat and allow to sit in the fridge, covered, for 1 hour. Or serve right then and there. It’s good either way!
- Will keep in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- To make vegan, replace honey with agave nectar or coconut nectar and mayonnaise with egg-free mayonnaise.
- To make nut-free, replace slivered almonds with an equal amount of seeds.
- To make egg-free, use egg-free mayonnaise.
- Preheat your oven to 400°F and set out a large baking sheet.
- Add lemon juice, raisins and harissa to a small bowl. Set aside.
- Add cauliflower florets, cooked chickpeas, onion, oil and cumin seeds to the large baking sheet and stir with your hands to coat all pieces in oil. Slide the baking sheet in the oven and roast veggies for 30 minutes, rotating once, or until cauliflower tops are lightly blackened. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Add everything to a large bowl: roasted veggies, parsley, cilantro and soaked raisins with juices. Stir to coat, add salt to taste and serve!
- Harissa can be purchased in the ethnic isle of any grocery store.
- I used a white Valencia onion.
- Extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil would work well in this recipe.