Bacon-Roasted Sweet Potatoes (paleo, gluten-free)
This delicious side dish is the perfect addition to any holiday table! It pairs well with most holiday entrées and can be adapted to fit a variety of tastes. For a spicier version, add extra chili powder or cayenne pepper. For a sweeter version, mix a tablespoon of honey with the coconut oil and toss before roasting.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Yield: 4–6 servings
3 large sweet potatoes or garnet yams, cut into ½-inch cubes
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
½ teaspoon chili powder
½ teaspoon sea salt
4 pieces of bacon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Toss sweet potatoes with the coconut oil, cumin, paprika, chili powder and sea salt. Lay flat in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Roast for about 30 minutes, tossing halfway through cooking time, until sweet potatoes are cooked and crispy.
- While sweet potatoes are roasting, lay the bacon flat in a cold pan. Turn the heat to low. Once the bacon starts to crisp and curl, use tongs to flip the bacon and ensure it browns evenly. Cook until crispy; then set bacon aside on paper towels to drain.
- When sweet potatoes are done, transfer to a serving platter and crumble the bacon on top. Serve immediately.