Chicken with Easy Mushroom Sauce
This Chicken with Easy Mushroom Sauce is the perfect weeknight dinner, as it comes together in under an hour; and the recipe can even be doubled, so there are plenty of leftovers for lunch! Pair this with roasted root vegetables or a hearty green salad for a complete meal. As always, we suggest using organic and local ingredients whenever possible.
Prep time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
⅓ cup cashews
¾ cup water
1 pound chicken thighs
Sea salt and black pepper
2 tablespoons coconut oil, divided
1 small yellow onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
8 ounces crimini mushrooms, sliced
½ teaspoon sea salt (or more to taste)
Black pepper, to taste
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Add the cashews and water to a bowl to let soak. Set aside.
- Season chicken thighs with a pinch of salt and pepper. Add one tablespoon of the coconut oil to a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken thighs and cook for about 5 minutes, or until the skin is nicely browned.
- Transfer chicken thighs to a foil-lined baking sheet and bake for about 20 minutes, or until the chicken is completely cooked and has reached at least 165 degrees F.
- In the meantime, add the remaining tablespoon of oil back to the skillet along with the onion, garlic and mushrooms. Sauté for 10 minutes, or until the onions are translucent and the mushrooms are nicely browned.
- While onions are cooking, add the cashews and water, along with ½ teaspoon sea salt, to a blender and blend until smooth. Add the cashew milk to the skillet with the onions and mushrooms and let simmer for 3–5 minutes, until slightly thickened.
- Once chicken is done cooking, serve immediately, topped with the mushroom sauce and black pepper to taste.