Chocolate-Zucchini Protein Muffins
Part zucchini bread, part banana bread, part brownie, these vegan and gluten-free protein powerhouses are the perfect grab-and-go breakfast, snack or post-workout nosh. Spend an hour whipping these up on a weekend, and enjoy a boost throughout the week—they’ll last up to seven days in the fridge! Feel free to use your favorite protein powder; we’ve tried both chocolate whey and chocolate plant-based powders with great success.
Yield: 12 muffins
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
1 tablespoon coconut oil (for pan)
3 tablespoons ground flax meal
4 tablespoons water
⅓ cup coconut flour
1½ cups almond flour
½ cup chocolate protein powder
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon sea salt
1 large ripe banana
1 cup almond milk
6 tablespoons coconut sugar (more if protein powder is unsweetened)
2.5 cups grated zucchini (about three small)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and lightly grease a regular muffin tin with coconut oil.
- In a small bowl, mix flax meal with water and stir to combine. Set in fridge for 10 minutes.
- Add coconut flour, almond flour, protein powder, cocoa powder, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt to a large mixing bowl. Whisk until blended.
- In a medium bowl, mash the banana and add in flax mixture, almond milk and coconut sugar. Stir until well blended.
- Add wet ingredients to the large mixing bowl of dry ingredients. Stir until combined.
- Add grated zucchini and stir until distributed.
- Scoop batter into muffin cups. Bake for 30 minutes, and let cool for 15 minutes before removing from pan.
- Store in the fridge for up to a week.