DIY Select-Your-Scent Natural Deodorant
If you’re looking to avoid the chemicals in conventional deodorant products, try your hand at making your own. This fun project allows you to choose your own scent. Consider sandalwood essential oil for men and citrus for teens.
- 25 drops of essential oil of your choice (we used lavender)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons beeswax
- 3 tablespoons raw shea butter
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder
- 3 tablespoons baking soda
- All ingredients can be purchased from natural products stores and Amazon.com.
- Makes about 4 oz.
- Melt the raw shea butter, beeswax and coconut oil in a double boiler or glass container sitting in simmering water over stovetop.
- Once fully melted, pour in the arrowroot and baking soda. Add the 25 drops of essential oil.
- Whisk all ingredients for about 2 minutes and then remove from stovetop.
- Continue to whisk to avoid it getting clumpy—don’t let it sit for any length of time.
- Pour the mixture into a container: a jar, a tin or a reused deodorant applicator.
- Let it sit and harden for about 1 hour before using.
- Apply with your fingers or use the applicator.
Before or after exercise or heavy physical work, reapply for freshness! Remember, this deodorant will curb the sweat and smell but you may still get moist, as there is no known natural antiperspirant.