Healthy Green-Bean Casserole with Caramelized Onions (vegan, paleo, gluten-free)
This green-bean casserole is a healthier remake of the classic holiday dish, which uses a rich cashew milk in place of the canned soup. It’s a recipe that can be made entirely on the stovetop, leaving your oven free for other baking!
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
Yield: Serves 4
2 tablespoons coconut oil, divided
1 medium sweet onion, thinly sliced
1 pound green beans, washed, trimmed and chopped
½ cup raw cashews
1 cup vegetable or chicken broth
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon sea salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Add one tablespoon of coconut oil to a medium pan over low-medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions are caramelized and browned.
- While onions are caramelizing, add the remaining tablespoon of coconut oil to a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the green beans and cook for 10 minutes, or until beans are bright green and just tender.
- Add the cashews, broth, garlic powder, salt and pepper to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Add the blended cashew milk to the green beans, cover, and lower heat to a simmer. Allow to simmer for 10 minutes or until the cashew cream has thickened and green beans are tender.
- Transfer to a dish for serving and top with the onions. Serve warm.