Hearty Fall Salad (gluten-free, vegan, paleo)
This delicious Hearty Fall Salad is loaded with seasonal favorites like roasted butternut squash, crisp apples, walnuts and dried cranberries, along with a sweet and tangy apple cider vinaigrette. The salad is topped with hemp seeds for protein, but you can also add tofu, lentils, grilled chicken or salmon to make it even heartier.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Yield: Serves 4
1 tablespoon coconut oil, divided
2 cups cubed butternut squash
2 cups broccoli florets
¼ cup olive oil
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon brown mustard
1 tablespoon honey or pure maple syrup
5 ounces spinach
1 medium apple (any variety), cored and chopped
¼ red onion, thinly sliced
½ cup walnuts
½ cup dried cranberries
¼ cup shelled hemp seeds
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Add half the coconut oil to one sheet pan and toss with the butternut squash. Add the remaining coconut oil to a separate sheet pan and toss with the broccoli. Lay veggies flat in a single layer.
- Roast veggies for 20 minutes, then remove the broccoli. Flip the butternut squash and continue roasting for an additional 5–10 minutes or until butternut squash is tender.
- Meanwhile, combine the olive oil, apple cider vinegar, brown mustard and honey or maple syrup in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Divide the spinach between four plates and top with the apple, red onions, walnuts, cranberries, roasted broccoli and butternut squash. Top with the vinaigrette and hemp seeds. Serve warm.