Huevos Rancheros with Easy Refried Pinto Beans
A classic skillet breakfast with a fresh avocado twist, this hearty combo is full of flavor and protein to start your day. Two corn tortillas sandwich simple hand-mashed refried pintos, then are topped with over-easy eggs and an avocado pico de gallo salsa. Though this recipe has four parts—frying tortillas, cooking refried beans, frying eggs and making the pico—the total prep time is less than 30 minutes.
Yield: 4 servings
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
- 1 tablespoon butter; more as needed
- 8 eggs
- 8 corn tortillas
- Easy Refried Pinto Beans*
- Avocado Pico Salsa**
- Cilantro and lime wedges, to serve
- Fry eggs in butter; set aside.
- Warm tortillas in pan, adding more butter as necessary.
- Assemble your Huevos Rancheros: spread refried beans over one tortilla, then top with the second tortilla. Place two eggs on top of the second tortilla like an open-faced sandwich, and generously spoon avocado pico salsa over the top. Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves and a lime wedge. Serve immediately.
Easy Refried Pinto Beans
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ onion, minced
- 2 cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- Salt to taste
Heat butter in small saucepan, add onion and cook a few minutes until softened and aromatic. Add beans and coconut oil. Using a potato masher, smash the fat into the beans until creamy, and season with cumin and salt to taste.
Avocado Pico Salsa
- 2 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 4 scallions, sliced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and chopped
- 1 avocado, cut into chunks
- ¼ bunch of cilantro, minced
- 2 limes, juiced
- Salt and pepper to taste
Mix all chopped vegetables and herbs together and toss with lime juice. Season to taste.